Friday, February 7, 2014

Wine Tasting: Tres Ojes Garnacha

Name: Tres Ojos
Variety: Garnacha
Region: Calatayud
Country: Spain
Year: 2011
Price: $6.95

Shop review: Made from 100% Old Vine Garnacha. The wine has a brick red color with a bouquet of red raspberries, spice, and white pepper. The palate is incredibly concentrated and rich. The modern styles of Garnacha in Spain are continuously being perceived worldwide as wines of extraordinarily good qualtiyy. This wine is fruity, juicy, and shows a great depth, ripe tannins, length but yet wonderful elegance and lightness. Enjoy with sausages, roasted meats, aged cheeses, etc.


My review:  The first thing I noticed about this wine was the color and opacity. The wine is indeed a very rich red, and I would even say that it is darker than the brick red that the shop review described. When held up to the light, I could not see through the liquid, even in the small amount that I had been poured for tasting. The second thing I noticed was how peppery the wine smelled, although hints of raspberry were present. I enjoy spicy wines, and immediately knew that I was likely to enjoy this one as well. The taste was very similar to the Trentadue wine that I had tasted two weeks prior. The wine tasted  mostly of blackberries, and had a nice peppery kick to it.  It was also full in body and fairly dry. 

No comments:

Post a Comment