Friday, February 7, 2014

Wine Tasting: The Royal Chenin Blanc

Name: The Royal Old Vines Steen Chenin Blanc
Variety: Chenin Blanc
Region: Western Cape
Country: South Africa
Year: 2012
Price: $7.95

Shop review: 
One of the greatest buys I have tasted this year is this under $10, 100% Chenin Blanc from the Western Cape. A super flowery-scented nose includes notions of ripe honeydew melons and pears. This medium-weight, fresh, fruity, crisp, dry, textbook Chenin Blanc will provide immense pleasure over the next 12 months.


My review:  
I expected this to be similar to the Sauvignon Blanc I had just tasted, seeing as how they come from a similar grape, but I could not have been more wrong. The wine had a very sweet and melony scent to it, which reminded me quite a bit of cantaloupe. This wine was much sweeter than the one before it, but was not nearly the sweetest of the day. The flavor was a bit flat, however, and there was little aftertaste to speak of. I enjoyed this wine, but I doubt I would order it for myself or pick it off of a counter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment