Sunday, March 16, 2014

Wine Tasting: Loredona Riesling

Name: Loredona
Variety: Riesling

Region: Monterey, California
Country: United States
Year: 2011
Price: $15

Shop review: 
If you like your Rieslings on the sweet side, this 
pretty wine is for you. It’s brisk in Central Coast acidity, with citrus, peach, honeysuckle and spice flavors that finish clean and long. 

My review:  I was relieved to see that we would not be closing this wine tasting with a moscato, like we had the last three or four times I visited the Vintage Cellar. The wine had a very strong melon smell, with some hints of a sweet lemon candy.  Like the previous closers I've had at the Vintage Cellar, this wine was very sweet. However, the sweetness was more of a fruity sweetness, and not a sugary sweetness like the other moscato finishers I had. The strongest taste I could pick up was peach, with some hints of the cantaloupe, watermelon, and honeydew I had picked up earlier.  While I almost always pick up a dry red wine, this was the wine I chose this week. Partly because it was one of the best sweet wines I've ever had, and partly because I'm going home for spring break, and I know that they like sweet whites. 

No comments:

Post a Comment