Sunday, March 23, 2014

Wine Tasting: Toschi Cabernet Sauvignon

Name:  Toschi
Variety: Cabernet Sauvignon

Region: California
Country: United States
Year: 2011
Price: $9

Shop review: 
Well-balanced flavors of dark berries and plums. Spicy fruit finish.

My review:  This was one of the most interesting wines I've ever had, but this time, that was not a good thing. It smelled of forest and earth, with some spiced pepper. It reminded me of what lincoln logs smell like after they've been stored in the attic for a long time. The wine was not very tannic, which I found surprising considering its' dark color. It had a very thick texture, and tasted (and felt) like what I imagine it would be like to eat a moss smoothie. IT had a smoky campfire aftertaste, which normally I would consider to be good, but here it just wasn't.  This is probably my least favorite wine I've ever had. That being said, I would almost be inclined to taste this again, but with a different vintage, to see if it really is something I don't like, or if it was just a bad year for the winery.

No comments:

Post a Comment